Christopher NeumeyerAffiliated Attorney
For more than two decades, Chris Neumeyer has represented global companies in commercial and corporate transactions and disputes, with a focus on technology and intellectual property. He practiced litigation in the U.S. from 1990 – 2000 and has served companies in Asia since 2000, including as an employee of Texas Instruments and Director of the Legal Department at a US$7 billion manufacturing company.
Mr. Neumeyer drafts contracts for the development, manufacture and sale of diverse products and technologies, including light-emitting diodes, optical disc drives, computers, monitors, power supply products, internet access devices, cell phones and camera modules; negotiates patent licensing agreements; resolves cross-border disputes concerning antitrust, bankruptcy, defects, delays, infringement, misappropriation, price-fixing, trade secrets and other matters; manages discovery and litigation; and has led almost US$1 billion in corporate transactions.
Mr. Neumeyer has a keen understanding of corporate procedures and objectives and consistently achieves exceptional, cost-saving outcomes for his clients. For more information, please visit www.asialaw.biz .
- Negotiate Patent License (US$20M). Led defense of licensing demand from US company, including formulating strategy; leading communications; negotiating and drafting agreement.
- Negotiate Patent License (US$20M). Led defense of licensing demand from Japanese company, including formulating strategy; leading communications; negotiating and drafting agreement.
- Negotiate Patent License (US$15M). Led defense of licensing demand from German company, including formulating strategy; leading communications; negotiating and drafting agreement.
- ITC Investigation. Led defense of International Trade Commission (ITC) Section 337 enforcement action, involving LEDs, including forming joint defense team with other respondents, then negotiating settlement and drafting agreement.
- Other Licensing. Resolved over 100 demands for licensing and indemnification, formulating strategy, gathering information, working closely with engineers, business units, attorneys and management.
Disputes & Litigation
- Anti-trust. Assist Taiwan company accused of illegal price-fixing to defend multiple U.S. lawsuits, formulating and implementing strategy, managing U.S. counsel and otherwise remove itself from an extremely costly and complex legal quagmire.
- Contract Dispute. Lead counsel formulating strategy and managing four inter-related state and federal lawsuits in the U.S. and Taiwan concerning a US$5.4 million patent licensing dispute.
- Joint Venture Dispute. Led successful prosecution of claim alleging corporate malfeasance by Japanese company, resolved through litigation in Hong Kong.
- Bankruptcy Disputes. Led successful defense of several lawsuits filed by U.S. and European bankruptcy trustees seeking to recover millions of dollars in allegedly preferential payments.
- Misappropriation Dispute. Lead counsel formulating strategy and managing lawsuit in Canada for misappropriation, directly negotiating settlement for more than $2,000,000.
- Defective Product Disputes. Led comprehensive responses to numerous multi-million dollar, defective-product claims in the U.S., Europe and Asia, leading cross-functional teams with respect to recalls, repairs, replacements, root cause analysis, litigation and negotiation of settlements.
- Accounts Receivable Disputes. Prosecuted, defended and settled numerous multi-million dollar claims and counter-claims in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
Mergers, Acquisitions & Investments
- Sell Business Unit (US$300M). Led sale of business unit, including DD, definitive agreements, global anti-trust clearance, transfers of business agreements and resolution of post-closing disputes.
- Acquire Listed Company (US$277M). Led acquisition of Finnish company, including site visits, DD, definitive agreements, public tender offer, minority buy-out, delisting, personnel, management, etc.
- Acquire Business Unit (US$30M). Led acquisition of Singapore business unit, including site visits, due diligence, definitive agreements, transfer of business, and post-closing disputes.
- Solar Power Projects. Lead counsel on the development, operation and sale of several highly-complex solar power projects in Europe, Asia and the U.S., including two 10Mwp projects in Italy and a 1.2Mwp project on the roof of a football stadium in Germany.
- Other Projects. Lead counsel on various multi-million dollar projects in the U.S., Europe and Asia with companies doing business in batteries, antennas, LEDs, LCD panels, loudspeakers, video conferencing, motion sensors, solar tracking devices and other technologies.
- State of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Taiwan, as a registered Attorney of Foreign Legal Affairs
Honors & Publications
- “Best Practices for Licensing Patents to Companies in China,” The Licensing Journal, May 2014.
- Clients’ Choice Award for Best IT Lawyer in Taiwan, International Law Office (ILO), April 2014.
- “Outbound Technology Licensing,” The Licensing Journal, August 2013.
- “Advanced Negotiation Skills,” led corporate trainings, Taipei, Bangkok, Singapore, Dubai 2012-2013.
- “Trade Secret Protection,” German Trade Office presentation, Taipei, Taiwan, November 2012.
- “Defending Licensing Demands, IP Asia seminar, Conference Chair/Speaker, Singapore, May 2012.
- “Building, Managing & Exploiting your IP Portfolio,” AIPE Seminar, Hsinchu, Taiwan, Sept. 2011.
- “Defending Patents Abroad,” California Lawyer, Feb 2011.
- “Defending Patent Licensing Demands,” Lexis-Nexis seminar, Taipei, Taiwan, April 2010.
- “Defending Patent Licensing Demands,” ACC Docket, October 2009.
- Leading Lawyer in Corporate and IPR, AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers Survey, 2005.
- Leading Lawyer in Corporate, AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers Survey, 2004.
- “Taiwan’s Government Struggles to Privatize,” International Law Office, October 2004
- “Establishing an IP Protection Program in Taiwan,” Asian IP, October 2003.
- “Taiwan Passes Copyright Law Amendment,” International Law Office, August 2003
- “Copyright Protection in Taiwan,” Asian IP, May 2003.
- “Made in Taiwan,” Patent World, May 2003.
- “Confusing Similarity in a Multilingual Market,” Trademark World, February 2002.
- “Optical Media Piracy in Taiwan,” World IP Report, July 2001.