Government Procurement Disputes
- Represented one of Taiwan’s leading architectural services firms at a government procurement complaint review board to successfully resolve unsubstantiated accusations by a public university in the bid to design a NTD400 million engineering school building.
- Represented a domestic information technology hardware company in a dispute with a government agency over the suitability of equipment installed to improve the safety of public transportation networks which resulted in a substantial reduction in the monetary penalties sought by the purchasing entity.
- Represented a domestic information technology hardware company executive accused of procurement law violations arising from the sale of electric vehicles to a government agency.
- Represented the Ministry of Economic Affairs and one of Taiwan’s major cement makers to defend against an action brought in the administrative courts by non-government organizations seeking to invalidate mining licenses.
- Provided securities and mergers advice to the Taiwan management team a global provider of meeting, incentive, convention and exhibition services in the buyout of the Taiwan’s subsidiary’s shares and subsequent recapitalization and NTD1 billion public offering of the Taiwan entity.
- Advised the controlling shareholder of Taiwan company in a dispute with a minority shareholder that threatened to delay the client’s execution of an acquisition.
Administrative Law Disputes
- Representing a global tobacco company in its negotiations with a municipal health agency to reverse the agency’s inaccurate interpretation of plain packaging rules and imposition of a NTD25 million fine.
- Successfully advised a publicly listed manufacturer of electric vehicles, medical devices, bio and clean tech products to overturn the Financial Supervisory Commission’s initial refusal to grant approval for the client to issue a USD45 million euro convertible bond.
- Successfully represented a prominent private secondary school to obtain an injunction to prevent expropriation of school property by a municipal government.
- Represented a nationwide distributor of tobacco products in dispute with a global product provider over fees and expense allocations that resulted in the recovery of NTD70 million for the client and a cost neutral exit from the relationship without the need for multi-jurisdictional litigation.
- External counsel to a global leader in consumer electronic devices to advise on the expansion of their Taiwan business. Advisory includes legality of new services and mobile applications, public policy advisory, negotiations with central and local government agencies, contract review and negotiations with service providers, and compliance training for management and retail store staff.
- External counsel to a central government operated teaching hospital in its negotiations with global pharmaceutical companies to carry out clinical trials with the hospital’s patients. Advisory includes contract review, negotiation and translation, as well as compliance training for hospital staff.
- Successfully represented a Chinese creditor owed a NTD5 billion debt by its counterparty in Taiwan after the reorganization administrator initially incorrectly applied applicable law to exclude the client from its appropriate position among the creditors due repayment.
- Advising a consumer products distributor in the creation and execution of a phased mass redundancy plan to eventually release two hundred employees in accordance with central and municipal government laws and regulations while avoiding disruption to the business during a wind down period.
Fair Trade Litigation
- Successfully represented a real property data services provider in litigation brought by ten industry participants alleging unfair trade practices that sought NTD30 million in damages.